Tips & Advice

How often should I rotate my tires?

Your tires should be rotated every 6000-7500 miles. Neglecting to rotate tires is a major cause of premature tire wear. Rotation time is also a good time to have your tires balanced.

How often should I get the oil changed?

We recommend that you have the oil changed every 3500 miles. Sometimes the interval can be extended. Please check with us to determine what is the best solution for your driving situation.

What is that milky brown engine oil?

This is an indication of coolant in the oil. It can be caused by a blown head gasket or some other gasket, a failed transmission cooler, or cracked casings. This condition is very serious and needs to be checked by a professional technician immediately.

What is synthetic motor oil?

Synthetic motor oils are good choices for high output, turbocharged or supercharged engines. Vehicles that are used for towing or vehicles that are operated in extremely cold or hot climates perform very well using synthetic motor oil. Synthetic motor oils are much more expensive than mineral-based motor oils, but their use can improve fuel economy and provide longer intervals between oil changes. They also provide instant lubrication on start-up.

Is it really necessary to replace my timing belt at the recommended interval?

Yes, because the failure of a timing belt can result in major engine damage. The timing belt keeps the crankshaft and camshaft mechanically synchronized, and the cost of repairing an engine with a broken timing belt is greater than that of a timing belt replacement.

What does it mean if my car's "check engine" light appears?

Automobiles have many computerized components and sensors managing your vehicle's engine performance and emissions to the outside air. When one component or sensor is not properly functioning or fails, the "check engine" light appears on the car's gauge panel. Although your car may seem to run fine, it is important to check out why the light is illuminating to prevent problems.

What should I do if my car starts to overheat?

This can be a very serious problem because if your car overheats for too long, the engine can be damaged. Find a safe place to pull off the road and shut the engine off - as soon as possible! Do not attempt to check the fluid level in the radiator as it can burn you. The best thing you can do is have your car towed to a repair shop. A suggestion that sometimes works is when the temperature gauge starts to rise, put on your heater at high speed to try to disperse heat from the engine. If the gauge goes back and stays in the normal range you can continue to drive. If the gauge continues to rise and the car heats up, pull off the road at a safe place and shut the engine off!

How do I ensure that my car battery has a good electrical connection?

Battery terminals and cables should be cleaned and inspected to ensure they provide a good electrical connection for optimal performance.

When should I replace my fuel filter?

Replace your car's fuel filter approximately every 30,000 miles or as recommended in the owner's manual to help ensure performance. Some vehicles have a non-serviceable fuel filter. We will determine if your vehicle has one and when it should be changed.

How often and when should I change the spark plugs?

For maximum fuel economy and peak performance, the spark plugs should be replaced every 30 months or 30,000 miles. Your vehicle may be equipped with 100,000-mile platinum or iridium tipped spark plugs which last longer.

What do I do when I need to replace a burned out fuse?

Replace burned-out fuses with ones of the same amperage which is printed on the fuse. If a fuse continues to "burn-out", have the circuit checked by one of our technicians for defects.

Walker Automotive - New Hampshire is committed to ensuring effective communication and digital accessibility to all users. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and apply the relevant accessibility standards to achieve these goals. We welcome your feedback. Please call Walker Automotive - New Hampshire (603) 526-4848 if you have any issues in accessing any area of our website.